01 August 2008

Day Eleven: Edmonton to Calgary, AB

Nothing much to report today. We ate our breakfast and got moving around 10 a.m. Christina and Kiersten went food shopping, while I gassed up the car ($62.00 today--the price is going down as we go south) and stopped at Chapters to look for some books I couldn't find at the mall yesterday. I have to say, I'm not as pleased with the selection of books in Canada, because I didn't find anything I was looking for.

We got a bit lost trying to drive out of Edmonton. The roads are a little confusing, and we missed our turn-off more than once. After some additional shopping (Christina found an outlet mall), we hit the road by 1 p.m. and got to Calgary around 5. We got lost again in Calgary--we had no idea where our hotel was, and we had to drive around the city until we found it. It wasn't too painful--all the streets are numbered--but it was confusing for awhile.

I think we're starting to get a bit traveled out. Tomorrow, we'll be on the road for 5 hours. We'll cross back into the U.S. at Montana, and camp at Glacier National Park for 2 nights before going on to Yellowstone. I think two nights' camping will do us good: fresh air, lots of hiking, and no driving.

Which reminds me: we'll probably be offline for awhile. We're spending Monday night in a hotel before camping for 3 nights in Yellowstone, so if we have internet on Monday, I'll post an update. Otherwise, we'll probably resume on Friday night. Goodnight!

Results: We spent a lot of time on what should have been a 3-hour trip. Hotel's not bad; it has a kitchen, but it's bachelor-sized. Grade: C.

Total distance traveled: 2,560 miles.

No comments: